About the job:
Going abroad to teach is a great way to gain experience and can be an extremely enriching life experience. We are glad to offer our instructors a wonderful environment to teach and practice surfing, in one of the best surf destination of Morocco.
The surf instructor will give 2 collective surf lessons of 2 hours per day, 5 days a week. There is also a lot of freedom to offer extra classes and services, according to your experience. Classes are given mostly in English and eventually other languages depending on the nationality of our instructor and guests.
Under the supervision of Sandycamps management team, the Surf Instructor will be responsible for planning, organizing, instructing and leading surf lessons for various ages and abilities, while ensuring a positive and safe environment. Job duties include but are not limited to:
1. Welcome each guest on arrival, finding out their expectations & requirements prior to teaching their first class
2. Say goodbye to guests at the end of their stay
3. Teach 2 collective classes of 2 hours each per day (morning and afternoon), 5 days a week
4. Be present and available before and after each class offering personal time for questions and some extra private tuition as and when requested.
5. Join our guests for breakfast, lunch and dinner in our hostel, partner restaurants or at the beach.
6. Hosting: building a rapport with guests, meeting their every need, answering questions, assisting with changeover day on Saturdays, the hostel upkeep, laying/clearing the table, assisting in serving meals & the general smooth running of the camp to give each guest’s a great unforgettable experience!
7. Prepare classes that meet the individual needs of participants, in harmony with the goals; establish clear objectives for all lessons, projects, and communicate these objectives to the guests
8. Focus your time and energy on offering caring, thoughtful & intelligent support to guests, during and outside lessons, to maximize the development of their practice & surf experience as a whole
9. Animate a 30 minutes surf theory course and debriefing at the end of the day
10. Demonstrate effective pedagogy, leadership skills, and sensitivity to all levels
11. Participate in all mandatory staff meetings and collective activities
12. Perform other job-related duties as assigned
13. Ensure the selection of the surf spot, equipment and supplies are appropriate to the activity and level of the participants to provide safe surfing conditions to guests
14. Ensure all equipment and supplies are accessible and ready prior to class beginning
15. Take care of the equipment and its maintenance before and after surf lessons
16. Act as a leader in emergency situations. Report any accidents or incidents according to Emergency Communication Action Plan
Minimum qualifications for position:
- Minimum of 20 years of age
- Be eligible to stay 6 months in Morocco (3 months + 3 months)
- Surf qualifications at a recognized educational institution, e.g. ISA, ASI
- Lifeguard qualifications, e.g. SLSGB, RLSS
- Good working level in English and French. Speaking German, Dutch, Swedish or Arabic is a plus.
- Minimum of six months experience teaching surf
- Have a valid travel insurance
- Qualification and experience in teaching SUP is a plus
- The desire to live in the colorful culture of Morocco, by the sea and surf everyday!
Skills and ability requirements:
- Ability to properly prepare and teach all required lessons
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of surf levels in a diverse community
- Be able to meet the physical aspects of the position, including walking, running, swimming
- Be able to surf confidently in all types of conditions
- Must be an enthusiastic, friendly and sociable person who is also organized, committed, reliable and a hard-working team player
- Excellent Leadership skills
- Good customer service and communication (written and verbal) skills to coach and mentor surf lessons, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud situations
- Ability to respond effectively to inquiries or complaints
- 3 healthy meals whilst at work
- Private room in a shared staff accommodation in Imsouane
- A monthly stipend
- Good commissions on daily open classes
- One day off per week and possibility to surf almost everyday
- Opportunity to live by the ocean, join all yoga lessons, day-trips and other activities on your spare time or days-off, depending on availability
- Benefit from all the extra free activities we offer (games, boards, pool, etc.)
- There’s a lot of freedom to offer extra classes and services
Starting on October 10th, 2017 until May 15th, 2018
To apply for this position, please submit your resume on all teacher training, studies and teaching experience. A description or video presenting yourself and telling us why you’d like to work with us, your availability with dates. Don't hesitate to send us additional pictures, videos, social medias links, whatever you think will help us know you better!
Please look at our website before applying. www.sandycamps.com